Segway Robotics Defines the Future of Mobile Robots with Loomo
Pioneers of self-balance transportation launch the world’s first truly mobile robot sidekick
San Francisco, California – March 6, 2018 – Segway Robotics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Segway-Ninebot Group, is proud to launch Loomo, a smart machine that toggles between a mini personal transporter and mobile robot sidekick. Loomo is now available for pre-order on Indiegogo today, with limited early bird pricing starting at $1299.
Loomo will launch with a core set of foundational features, with more capabilities unlocked over time through over-the-air (OTA) updates. Out of the box, you can ride Loomo as a mini transporter, let it follow you autonomously as a robot sidekick, or show off Loomo’s playful personality to your friends. Loomo also comes with a free Android-based SDK for professional developers and enthusiasts alike to build on top of our mobility + AI platform.
Loomo’s key features include:
- Self-Balancing Transporter: Smooth ride experience across most terrain types, with speeds of up to 11 MPH, and the capacity to cover 22 miles in one charge; a voice-based tutorial allows anyone to learn how to ride Loomo in mere minutes
- Auto-Follow Expert: With advanced computer vision, Loomo can follow you autonomously, shoot stabilized video, and more
- Avatar: Use your smartphone as a remote control to access all of Loomo’s capabilities – see, speak, interact, and explore as if you are Loomo
- Friendly & Expressive Personality: Powered by its emotion engine, Loomo’s lovable nature and lighthearted expressions will cheer you up and impress everyone around you
- Multiple Control Methods: You can control Loomo via your smartphone app, voice command, gestures and touch sensors
- New Skills Unlocked Over-the-Air (OTA): Loomo will continuously update its software and app OTA to include new features
- Free Loomo Android SDK for developers: Directly access Loomo’s mobility and AI capabilities to build a range of playful features or practical solutions
“Segway-Ninebot has already put millions of wheels on the ground that cover 180 million kilometers each year. But what happens if you combine Segway’s proven mobility technology with cutting-edge AI? Well say hello to Loomo,” said Li Pu, President of Segway Robotics. “For many, Loomo is a reflection of our movie fantasies growing up… it embodies our vision of how mobile personal robots can become a part of our everyday lives.”
The Loomo Indiegogo campaign launches March 6, 2018. Limited early bird pricing will be set at $1299. The basic pack includes 1 Loomo, 1 AC/DC adapter, 1 extended air tap, and 1 USB 3.0 Type-C cable. Loomo will begin shipping to backers in May 2018.
Loomo’s core technologies include:
- Mobility and Intelligent Motion Control System: Loomo incorporates Segway Mini Plus’s latest magnesium alloy base, which comprises of more than 400 self-balancing patents. A quick response motion control system and 11-inch anti-slip tires allow for smooth riding on uneven roads and the ability to keep balance in other challenging situations. Powerful motors and a large volume battery enable speeds of up to 11 MPH, up to a distance of 22 miles
- Multi-Sensor Perception: Loomo is equipped with an Intel RealSense ZR300 camera for depth sensing and motion tracking, which enables robot mapping and obstacle avoidance. Loomo also has a 1080p HD-camera stabilized by a 3-axis gimbal which enables stable video capture while moving, a 5-microphones array on its head to determine voice/noise direction and recognize voice commands, two infrared-distance sensors and an ultrasonic sensor in the front for obstacle detection and fall warning, and several other touch sensors on its body
- Visual Perception and Understanding: Driven by deep learning and computer vision technologies, Loomo owns a powerful visual system consisting of an object Detection and Tracking System (DTS) and a Human Understanding System (HUS). DTS enables the detection and tracking of multiple-objects in real time, and is the foundation for many applications. HUS enables Loomo to recognize faces and understand human properties, e.g. gender, gestures, and other behaviors that are required for human understanding and interaction analysis
- Easy-to-use Android Platform: We have developed a customized Android Platform to manage hardware, software and algorithms as a whole. With our free SDK, developers can control the base assembly and robot head at a proper abstraction level. Through the hardware extension bay in the back, mechanical and electrical engineers can design and attach additional components to the robot, enabling even more flexibility and a wide range of creative possibilities
Loomo Technical Specifications:
|Size||650mm height, 310mm length, 570mm width|
|Weight||~19kg (~42 lbs.)|
|LCD Screen||4.3 inch, 480 * 800 pixels|
|HD Camera||1080p 30Hz streaming with 104 degrees FOV|
|3D Camera||Intel RealSense ZR300 Camera for depth-sensing & motion tracking|
|Sensors Available||Ultrasonic sensors, infrared distance sensors, touch sensors, encoders, IMUs|
|Processor||Intel Atom Z8750, 4 cores 2.56GHz, x86-64|
|Operating System||Customized system based on Android 5.1|
|Speed Limit||8km/h (4.3mph) in robot mode, 18km/h (11mph) in self-balancing vehicle mode|
|Typical Range||~35km (22 miles) per charge|
|Traversable Terrain||Paved road and sidewalks, packed dirt, slopes < 15°, obstacles < 0.4 inch (1cm), gaps < 1.2 inch (3cm)|
|Mic Array||5 microphones enabling beamforming, voice localization and voice command recognition|
— Ends —
High-resolution images, logos and videos can be found here.
Phone: +1 (415) 988 5278
Phone: +86 18911137622
About Segway Robotics
Segway Robotics is a privately held company that focuses on developing and commercializing personal robots. Founded in 2015, it is fully owned by Segway-Ninebot Group, a Series C company. The company has notable backers including the likes of Sequoia Capital, Intel Capital and Xiaomi.
To find out more about Segway Robotics: http://www.segwayrobotics.com/Pre-order from Indiegogo